Sunday, January 12, 2020 • by Brooke Frederickson, RMISA
ASPEN, Colo.—A pair of skiers broke through for their first career victories in the slalom races at the Denver Invite with Colorado's Stef Fleckenstein winning the women's race and Utah's Joachim Lien taking the men's race.
Utah continues to lead the team standings with 317 points, followed closely by Denver in second (306 points).
The alpine teams stay in Colorado for the Colorado Invitational which begins at Eldora on Jan. 15 with the giant slalom.
- Utah, 317
- Denver, 306 (-11)
- Westminster, 288 (-29)
- Colorado, 278 (-39)
- Montana State, 274 (-43)
- Alaska Anchorage, 181 (-136)
- Colorado Mountain, 152 (-165)
- Stef Fleckenstein, CU
- Andrea Komsic, DU
- Eleri Smart, DU
- Julia Toiviainen, WMC
- Katie Vesterstein, UU
- Sona Moravcikova, UU
- Reece Bell, DU
- Tegan Wold, MSU
- Andrea Arnold, CU
- Kaitlyn Harsch, CU
- Denver was the top scoring team in the race with 96 points, followed by Colorado's 83 points.
- Colorado's Stef Fleckenstein earned her first career victory. She is the only skier to podium in all three races this year.
- Denver's Eleri Smart earned her first career podium.
- Westminster's Julia Toiviainen earned her first career top five finish.
- Utah's Katie Vesterstein finished in the top five for the first time this season and second time in her career.
- Utah's Sona Moravcikova and Fleckenstein are the only two skiers to finish in the top 10 in all three races this year.
- Joachim Lien, UU
- Aage Solheim, MSU
- Mikkel Wahl, WMC
- Tobias Kogler, DU
- Mikkel Solbakken, WMC
- Colby Lane, DU
- Tomas Birkner, UU
- Cole Puckett, DU
- Joachim Mjelde, WMC
- Patrick Carry, MSU
- Utah and Westminster each scored 85 points in the race.
- Utah's Joachim Lien won his first career collegiate race. He has five career podium finishes.
- Montana State's Aage Solheim is the only skier to finish on the podium in every race this season. He has five career podium finishes.
- Westminster's Mikkel Wahl earned his first career podium finish.
- In addition to MSU's Solheim, Denver's Tobias Kogler and Westminster's Mikkel Slobakken have all finished in the top five in all three races this year.